We are inviting feedback on our proposed Consumption of Liquor in Public Places Local Law No. 1 of 2019 ('the proposed local law').
This is a formal public exhibition process and you are welcome to make a written submission on the proposed local law.
This process follows an initial round of consultation held in June/July 2019, when we heard from more than 200 community members.
This review was prompted by the sun-setting of the existing local law which is reaching the end of its legislated 10 year lifespan.
About the proposed local law
The intent of the proposed local law is to make our shared spaces safe and welcoming. Most of the updates from the existing local law relate to reducing repetition and making it easier to understand.
Generally speaking, the proposed local law prohibits the drinking of alcohol (and the carrying of alcohol in open containers) in public places within the City of Yarra.
Some public places are excluded from these rules. These are known as ‘prescribed areas’. Drinking and carrying alcohol in open containers is allowed in these area between 9.00am and 9.00pm.
The proposed Local Law also empowers Yarra Council to vary these rules at certain times and places to facilitate festivals and events.
One change has also been made from the draft local law that was released for consultation earlier this year. Under the updated proposed local law, in sections 10, 15 and 20, authorised officers must now “observe” a contravention of the local law, rather than have “reasonable grounds” that a contravention has taken place.
How to have your say
There are several ways to have your say on the proposed local law:
- Fill out the form below and type or upload your file
- Written submissions can also be sent via:
- Post: Yarra Council, Compliance Branch, PO Box 168, Richmond 3121
- Email: email@example.com (subject line: Local Law submission)
- Or you can provide your submission in person at any of the customer service centres located at:
- Bargoonga Nganjin, North Fitzroy Library (182 St Georges Road, Fitzroy North)
- Collingwood Town Hall (140 Hoddle Street, Abbotsford)
- Connie Benn Centre (160 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy)
- Richmond Town Hall (333 Bridge Road, Richmond)
All submissions must be received by Thursday 19 September 2019.
If you tick the box in your submission indicating that you wish to speak to it (or have someone else speak on your behalf), you will have that opportunity at the Ordinary Council Meeting at 7pm on Tuesday 8 October 2019 at Richmond Town Hall.
Council will consider all submissions at this meeting and decide whether to adopt the proposed local law (with or without changes).